World Food Programme (WFP) Administration Officer (Environmental) Job in Nairobi, Kenya June 2014
The position allows WFP to have technically well founded programmes, operate from an environmental sustainability standpoint, and affirm its leadership in “greening up to the last mile” within the UN system.
- Provide a range of technical advice and support to colleagues on a wide range of environmental management issues, including energy/GHG management, waste management, water management and sustainable procurement; provide a “help-desk” service to handle day to day requests; develop and deliver awareness raising materials and activities, electronic publications and training as required;
- Provide technical advice and support to colleagues throughout the organisation on developing and implementing local GHG emission reduction plans and reporting the impacts (savings) of reduction projects; support the yearly allocation of funds by the WFP Energy Efficiency Fund;
- Co-ordinate the collection of energy usage and other activity data to enable calculation of WFP’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from buildings, vehicles and official travel; including providing capacity building advice and support to country offices to optimise data quality/address gaps, verify and analyse submitted footprinting data; and report results to various internal and external audiences;
- Co-ordinate the integration of Greenhouse Gas data into WFP’s centralised facility management software, (ARCHIBUS); Maintain the WFP Inventory Data Management Plan;
- Through research, consultation and effective stakeholder liaison with relevant divisions (including field offices, GVLP, Logistics, Travel and ICT), support the development and implementation of an Environmental Management System (EMS) for WFP in accordance with the commitments of the UN High Level Committee of Management and including integration of the GHG emission Reduction Strategy;
- Support the Chief of Infrastructure and Facilities Management on policy and programme development as required, including representing WFP at interagency working groups (such as EMG) and other international meetings on UN environmental sustainability issues.
- At least five years of progressively responsible post degree experience in environmental management and/or corporate/project reporting roles is required; experience should span energy/GHG management and at least one other from this list: water management; waste management; air pollution; environmental compliance; Environmental Impact Assessment; Environmental Management Systems; corporate reporting.
- Prior experience of applying the Greenhouse Gas Protocol is required.
- Prior experience of applying international environmental management standards, (ISO, EMAS, GRI or similar) will be highly regarded.
- Prior experience of the Climate Neutral UN initiative, Sustainable UN working group and/or prior experience at WFP will be highly regarded.
- Use of MS Office software to at least the intermediate level is required, including Excel.
- Experience of database management (particularly Oracle-based systems) is required. Prior experience with ARCHIBUS facilities management software will be highly regarded.
Terms and Conditions
Special Notice: Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP.
http://icsc.un.org – Click on: Quick Links > Salary Scales > by date
Step 1: Create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
Deadline for applications: 2 July 2014