VSO Sign Language Interpreter Job in Nandi, Kenya May 2016
Job opportunity;VSO Sign Language Interpreter in Nandi, Kenya
Career vacancy:VSO Sign Language Interpreter in Nandi, Kenya
About VSO: VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries.
Role Overview: To provide accurate interpretation support during work placement activities, training workshops, medical appointments, phone calls, community meetings and any other activities required for ICS youth volunteers for a 16-week international development project.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- Fully qualified KSL interpreter
- Professional registration with the Kenya Sign Language Association
- Recognized as a KSL interpreter by the Kenya National Association of the Deaf
- Clear understanding of the importance of confidentiality.
- Experience of working with young people with diverse sign language fluency;
- Experience of interpreting for groups in informal learning environments.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work on own initiative;
- Excellent communication, active listening and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work under pressure, with varied client groups and as part of a busy team;
- Good personal time management skills;
- Ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with young people;
- Willingness to work unsociable hours including weekends (routine) and evenings (in the event of an emergency);
- Ability to plan logically, managing a varied workload and flexible working environment.
- A belief in the values and mission of VSO;
- A passion for the role of young people in international development;
- Proficiency in additional sign languages
- A basic understanding of development issues, e.g. gender equality, climate change.
- Working (/volunteering) in a cross-cultural environment.
- Living/volunteering in an international development context.
- Emotional resilience in working with young people with challenging behaviours.
Application closing date: 18 May 2016
Interview / Assessment date(s): 24th-25th May 2016
Start date: 6th June 2016