UNICEF WASH Specialists Jobs in Garissa, Kisumu and Lodwar Kenya June 2014
Vacancy Announcement “KCO/WASH/2014-028”
Duty Stations: Garissa / Kisumu / Lodwar
Posts: WASH Specialist, NO-C
Reference # and Section
Date of Issue: 20 June 2014
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the above Fixed Term positions in Garissa, Kisumu and Lodwar Filed Offices of UNICEF Kenya Country Office.
Purpose of the Post: Under the direct supervision of the respective Chief Field office, Garissa, Kisumu, Lodwar and technical guidance of the Chief WASH, responsible for formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of the UNICEF WASH programme in counties covered by Garissa, Kisumu and Lodwar Field Offices to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives, within the Government of Kenya/UNICEF Programme of Collaboration, UNICEF Strategic Plan and UNDAF.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enhance effective WASH programme, by leading, guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely inputs on various components of the WASH Programme to the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis. The post will facilitate various programme output areas in the modelling and roll out of innovative approaches/technologies in line with national policy objectives and sector priorities, for a devolved rural water service sector and to improve accountability and citizen participation in management of quality service delivery.
- Support emergency preparedness and response plans, related to WASH components ensuring adequate attention is given to resilience building, Disaster Risk Reduction and Management. Undertake field visits and assess the local conditions. Ensure inclusion of and delivery on WASH components in the sectoral WASH Cluster leadership responsibilities at county level.
- Support formulation, implementation and monitoring of the WASH sectoral work plan and ensuring alignment with the defined programme strategies and approaches. Provide technical support to UNICEF programmes and counterparts in county government and NGO partners for the mobilization of GoK counterparts, partners, schools, and communities for implementation of WASH programme.
- Support evidence based planning, budgeting and leveraging of resources at County levels to improve coverage and strengthen sustainability of facilities and services. Support establishment of information Management systems for planning, monitoring of facilities and strengthen advocacy for sustainable rural Water supply investments and services.
- Responsible for preparation of project annual work plans and preparation of reports required for the programme- Annual reports, annual reviews, financial and narrative reports etc.
- Effective communication and networking achieved through partnership and collaboration including support to the WASH Cluster at county level. Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Support advocacy and upstream strengthening of WASH in county level processes, including through meetings with County level agencies supporting WASH.
- Responsible for the preparation of programme budgets, monitoring of utilization of funds and preparation of proposals for the mobilization of resources for enhancing sustainability. Responsible for identification, procurement and distribution of supplies and non-supply assistance for Programme. Responsible for the monitoring and Certification of quality of supplies and timely distribution to end users.
- Participate in evaluation exercises, programme reviews related to WASH and relevant annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Ensure Programme monitored with special attention to gender/sex disaggregation of relevant indicators. Support the preparation of annual WASH status reports. Promote effective Knowledge management through drafting/finalizing key WASH sectoral programme documents and reports, sharing good practice, lessons learned, and knowledge/information exchange. Support technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on introduction of new initiatives in the country.
- Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience at national level in programme management, project development and monitoring and evaluation.
- Must have knowledge of community participatory development approaches and have worked in such projects for 3 years.
- Past experience in managing large scale water supply/sanitation/hygiene projects.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the IASC Cluster approach.
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ Level II ]
- Working with People [ Level II ]
- Drive for Results [ Level II ]
- Leading and Supervising [ Level I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ Level II ]
- Analyzing [ Level III ]
- Relating and Networking [ Level II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ Level II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ Level III ]
The Human Resources Manager
UNICEF Kenya Country Office
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Reference No. “KCO/WASH/2014-028” in the email subject.
2. Reference No. for post/duty station for post applied to on your application letter
“Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply”