UNICEF Education Specialist Job in Nairobi Kenya June 2014
Vacancy Announcement “KCO/EDUC/2014-014”
Duty Station: Nairobi
Post: Education Specialist, NO-C
Reference # KCO14027
Date of Issue: 20 June 2014
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the above Fixed Term position of Education Specialist in UNICEF Kenya Country Office (KCO).
Purpose of the Post: Under the guidance of the Chief of Education Program, responsible for overall development, implementation and evaluation of effective evidence based equity focused policies, strategies and plans at national, county and community level focusing on Nomadic, Peace Education/DRR, CFS and children with special needs, girls, adolescent and children affected by conflict in tandem with the commitments of the National Education Sector Support Program (NESSP) and Basic Education Act 2013.
- Contributes towards preparation of Situation Analysis by compiling, analyzing and evaluating information on trends in the areas of OOSC/CFS/PBEA/DRR, focusing on nomadic, children with special needs, girls, adolescent and children affected by conflict and advocate for Right Based programming.
- Collaborates across the programme(s) to ensure gender mainstreaming.
- Ensures that monitoring mechanisms are in place to track progress towards disparity reduction goals and targets in Education.
- Promotes inter-sectoral partnerships in order to ensure that progress benefits mutually education and other programmes, in particular CP, HIV, Health, Nutrition, Water and Environmental Sanitation.
- Provide evidence based guidance and inputs to government on policy, standards and strategic development and monitoring to achieve Universalization of Education.
- Coordinate with respective section in the MOEST to improve efficiency and effectiveness of data collection, analysis and use.
- Facilitate development of pro equity and gender based policies and programs with Ministry of Education and other relevant national government bodies.
- Support government counterparts in budgeting for education and unit costing for implementation of policies and strategies
- Provide strategies to strengthen the existing Education Management Information System (EMIS).
- Build capacity of government counterparts to plan and develop M&E frameworks, and in identifying data gaps and research requirements.
- Developing web based portal for the schools using GIS maps with back end information.
- Strengthening the existing ICT4E strategies and developing new innovative methods to strengthen monitoring system.
- Support the sector in assessing trends and outcomes relating to achieving EFA goals by developing M&E for the different programme strategies.
- Coordinate and liaison with Social and Policy sector both at country and regional level on new upcoming research and studies based on Right based approach
- Design new research and survey on operationalization of NESSP for generating evidence for advocacy with government on developing new policies, plans and strategies.
- Supporting government in developing research design for measuring learning outcome.
- Ensure UNICEF’s global goals effectively promoted through informed advocacy and policy dialogue.
- Prepare programme status reports required for advocacy and strategic input in government policy, donors and other external agencies along with internal agencies like management, board, annual reports, etc.
- Knowledge management effectively promoted through drafting/finalizing key Education sectoral programme documents and reports, sharing good practice, lessons learned, and information with partners and other collaborative stakeholders, capitalizing on the know-how and network of knowledge institutions.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in research, programme monitoring and evaluation, in a related field.
- Practical experience of working in education field.
- Fluency in English and another UN working language required.
- Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [Level II]
- Working with People [Level II]
- Drive for Results [ Level II]
- Leading and Supervising [Level I]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [Level II]
- Analysing [Level III]
- Relating and Networking [Level II]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [Level II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [Level III]
The Human Resources Manager
UNICEF Kenya Country Office
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate Reference No. “KCO/EDUC/2014-014” in the email subject.
“Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply”