Vacancy Announcement No. 021/2015
Post Title: National Logistics Officer
This position is open to qualified Somalia candidates with good knowledge of the local area. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise all Logistics Operations for the Mogadishu Area Office and timely deliveries to the cooperating partner’s premises and sites;
- Contribute towards the development of Logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance;
- Support or manage logistics projects or operational activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries;
- Collect and analyse data through research and from colleagues to recommend on areas of Logistics improvement;
- Supervise the storekeepers and Logistics Assistants and offer them on job training as per their requirement;
- Ensure that WFP shipments, vessel arrivals or containerized shipments are well coordinated with all involved contractors;
- Prepare various reports on the daily operations, bottlenecks and propose possible solutions and share with all stakeholders for decision making and planning purpose;
- Actively participate in Cash & Vouchers (C&V) interventions of Mogadishu Area Office by organizing meetings with the stakeholders and act as a Logistics Focal Point for the C&V programme;
- Conduct Local Trade data collection and analysis, Markets & Traders Capacity Assessment, whole Sale/Retailer performance monitoring, Supply Chain monitoring. Responsible of tracking and reconciliation of cash and vouchers, certification of invoices and reports;
- Coordinate WFP Programme and Logistics Units to ensure relevant staff are updated on pipeline information, e.g. expected consignments and arrival date/time, expiry dates, priorities of deliveries etc.;
- Share port situation reports to guide the Shipping Unit for better coordination with the calling vessels.
- Monitor the works of the Superintendent and Agents to ensure that Superintendent issues are reported by the end of each shift and that the statement of facts prepared by the Agent contains all facts as per operational activities during discharging and loading at the port;
- Ensure the quality of WFP commodities are procured from the cooperatives and safely stored into WFP warehouse for the monthly distribution to beneficiaries;
- Reconciliation for services rendered to various WFP Customers.
- Request for creation of new customers from HQ and liaise with Logistics Cluster Unit for any updates in service provision to other UN Agencies and NGOs;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply chain, Logistics Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least three years or more of postgraduate professional experience in commercial or government transportation and ancillary sectors with at least two years’ experience in a commercial company or NGO, adequate knowledge and experience of area of work, i.e. flight operations, air traffic management sectors, chartering/shipping/port operations, warehouse or fleet management, etc.
- Proficiency in Windows (MS Word, MS Excel) and some transport tracking system experience.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
- Experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet or other WFP software packages.
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
Step 1: Create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.