Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) NGO Job Garissa Feb 2016
Job opportunity: Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) NGO Career Garissa
Employment opportunity: Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) NGO Career Garissa
Feb 2016 Terre des hommes Foundation Consultancy for Situation Analysis of Children in Garissa Township
Job vacancy: Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) Employment Kenya 2016
Job Description: Today Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) Work Kenya
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is an international NGO focused on Child Rights and Child Protection.
To support the start-up of a new intervention in Garissa Township, implemented in partnership with the Children’s Department, and UNICEF, Tdh is encouraging Kenyan Nationals or appropriate institutions to apply for consultancy titled:
Situation Analysis of Children in Garissa TownshipReporting to: Child Protection Programme Manager
Duty station: Garissa
Duration of consultancy: 14 days
- Conduct an assessment of the child protection situation/status in Garissa township and use evidence and data gathered to inform the programme and scale up/strengthen children protection interventions in Garissa Township
- The SitAn exercise will engage all duty-bearers and rights-holders in a collective analysis of shortfalls and disparities and their causes. In this sense it represents a consensus building process on how to reduce inequities in child outcomes and better fulfil children’s rights, thus Ownership is critical.
- Assess gaps in the child protection centre services including case management and process of care (identification, reporting, investigation, assessment, psychosocial support, referral, reintegration, outreach services and follow-ups) data management, quality of data management, analysis and evidence generation; advocacy and staff capacity development
- Examine child protection and child rights as they are supported or not supported within the township paying special attention to the specific child protection and child rights concerns, data availability and analysis;
- Examine trends of child protection issues in the township ensuring to provide an understanding of directions of change and implications for current and future child protection programming
- Pay special attention to rights-deprivations and protection concerns of children due to cultural practices, individual, community, and institutional knowledge and practices, especially in as far as they impact on the protection of children with disability, children with health problems, children born out of wedlock children, those not living with biological parents, and children with different ethnic and linguistic backgrounds;
- Examine the underlying issues, causative factors, as well as the supportive factors
- Examine gender social norms and behaviours affecting the realization of equal protection opportunities for boys and girls in the sub county;
- Analyse and identify gaps in implementation of the existing legislative and policy framework addressing child and adolescent rights and protection needs at the sub county level.
- Analyse the capacities of duty bearers in fulfilling their accountabilities vis- ‘a- vis child rights and child protection; specifically analyse the role of the Department of Children’s Services in fulfilling its child protection mandate in the Sub-county; the role of the Child Protection Network
- Analyse the capacities of right holders in participating in the realisation of child rights and the protection of children;
- Pay special attention to the CSO capacity to address children issues
- Conduct mapping services and analysis of and budget allocations relating to children’s rights and child protection in within Garissa Sub county.
The required background and experience for the Consultant is as follows:
- Master’s Degree in the Social Sciences (Sociology, Social Work, Anthropology, Child Rights/Child Development, Development Studies) or related fields relevant for the assignment.
- At least 5 years of research and other relevant professional experience;
- Demonstrated experience with Human Rights Based Approach to Programming (HRBAP) and the principles of gender mainstreaming and promotion of gender equality
- Proven knowledge and skills on quantitative analysis
- Institutional knowledge of INGO (Preference in Child Protection Programming)
- Proven experience in writing analytical papers on children and gender issues
- Excellent facilitation and coordination skills and excellent analytical skills;
The specific competencies and qualifications required of the Consultant are as follows:
- Excellent knowledge of social political environment within Garissa County and North Eastern Counties.
- Excellent knowledge of the recent developments in the area of human rights in general and of children’s rights in particular in Kenya
- Proven ability to deliver quality reports/analysis and results in line with established deadlines;
- Proven experience of having participated previously in a SitAn or similar analytical work will be a Plus.
- Fluency in Somali language is a plus
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV and consultancy work profile.
If requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered.
The Application for the consultancy can be emailed to email@example.com – Kindly indicate the name of consultancy on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.Closing date for these positions is 23rd February 2016
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and interview
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are specifically encouraged to apply.