Samaritan’s Purse WASH Procurement Officer Job in Eldoret, Kenya June 2014
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world.
Additionally, they should monitor field inventory levels of mission critical components, develop vendor relations, establish blanket purchase orders where practical, explore and develop sourcing options outside of Africa, and develop strategies for shipment/trans-shipment of goods into the field.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Receive WASH PR’s and understand the technical aspects of what has been requested;
- Understand technical WASH specifications, and be able to differentiate quality WASH components from poorly constructed components;
- Develop vendor relations with multiple providers in the greater E. Africa region;
- Negotiate and establish blanket purchase orders where practical;
- Develop sourcing options outside of Africa;
- Monitor spending on WASH goods;
- Review vendors, focusing on suppliers of key items;
- Conduct periodic checks on transactions to ensure organizational standards are upheld;
- Review vender quality
- Review vender pricing
- Ensure ethical conduct is acceptable
- Develop and maintain product and pricing lists to send to field sites;
- With a generous and serving spirit perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of Samaritan’s Purse;
- Maintain a Christian witness to the communities.
- Possesses strong technical WASH knowledge of components and project requirements/ WASH Engineer;
- Possesses the ability to solve technical WASH problems, and understands procurement of the same;
- Can differentiate between poorly manufactured and well manufactured WASH components;
- Possesses GREAT communication skills in the realms of both e-mail and verbal communication;
- Possesses the ability to build interpersonal and business relations with vendors, stakeholders, and field operators;
- Possesses strong organizational skills;
- Possesses good judgment, and critical thinking skills, must be able to think “out of the box”;
- Must have the ability to get a driver’s license and be a good driver in Kenya;
- Must be assertive, and willing to dig into the answers to discover problems;
- Must be a humble team player, and willing to help with physical labor if necessary;
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable;
- Willingness to travel in and out of the field;
- Willingness to stay in the field for extended periods;
- Knowledge of computer systems and its applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Ability to drive a standard transmission vehicle in rough road and extremely muddy conditions.
- Technical education with regard to WASH and/or drilling
- Experience with WASH drilling and operations
- Experience with procurement.
- Previous experience with an Emergency Relief based NGO
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram, form, and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Only email applications will be accepted.