Oxfam Africans Act 4 Africa Co-ordinator Job in Kenya June 2014
Oxfam is one of the world’s leading International Humanitarian Agencies, assisting people affected by poverty, natural disasters and conflict throughout the world.
The Horn, East, and Central Africa (HECA) region is the largest region within Oxfam, covering 8 countries including, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
The ‘Africans Act 4 Africa’ campaign was launched in August 2011 during the food crisis in the Horn and the objective of the campaign was to call on African governments to provide support – at least US$.50 million in emergency funds – for the food crisis in the Horn of Africa. Its social media campaign signed off more than 12 Pan African networks.
Oxfam is now seeking to bring on board a passionate crusader to revamp the campaign in view of the different crises in the region especially conflict and food security and most importantly, to spin it off to a vibrant, independent campaign.
Job Title: Africans Act 4 Africa Co-ordinator
Job Family: Campaigns
Oxfam Purpose: To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
Job Purpose: To develop Africans Act for Africa (AA4A) into an independent campaign and advocacy network which responds to humanitarian crises and supports resilience building
Reporting Lines: LED by OGB for Oxfam International on Rights in Crisis issues with a special focus on food security and livelihoods issues
Post holder reports to: Regional Campaign and Policies Manager with dotted line to Africa Oxfam International Manager )
Staff reporting to this post: Interns
- Development of a spin/off plan for AA4A
- Implementation and Management of the spinoff plan
- Development, coordination and delivery of agreed AA4A campaign plans.
- Providing advice on continental policy standards, policymaking moments, appropriate African allies relevant for AA4A.
- Participation in public campaigns based on agreed plan of action and objectives.
- To undertake fundraising efforts and produce clear and quality reports (financial and narrative)
- Leading AA4A coordination and partnership building
Development of a spin/off plan for AA4A
- Develop a spinoff plan (business plan) on how the AA4A will transition to an independent Campaign with its own funding and structures to continue the work of the campaign including real and practical ways of fundraising and influence building within Africa. Include financial, institutional and governance planning
- This will be needed within the first four months into the job.
Implementation and Management of the spinoff plan
- Development of a clear strategy of implementation of the spinoff plan including work within the first year, and subsequent six months into the role (18 months)
Revamp and further Develop and Co-ordinate AA4A network
- Identify campaigning priorities and develop ongoing campaign strategies for AA4A covering popular campaigning, advocacy, and media, with partners, allies and team members as appropriate.
- Deliver high profile campaign actions to bring about change, using a variety of techniques including mass and digital media popular mobilisation and coordinated advocacy
- Work with media and social networks to reach African publics with actions and key messages.
Campaign events, materials and website
- Produce campaign and media materials in coordination with partners as appropriate
- Responsible for website and social media content, press releases
- Event planning and management (concerts, press conferences, exhibitions, lobby tours etc).
- Cultivate and develop relationships with key stakeholders as potential partners in campaigning, including but not limited to CSO organisations, opinion leaders, the private sector and major African artists.
- Maintain overview of contact management and relationship building with the Network, Governance body and members.
- Ongoing liaison and relationship management with key partners and major artists.
- Responsible for bringing together a network of high profile and influential people as members and also for key moments of influence
Skills and Competence:
- Excellent understanding practical and demonstrated experience on developing business models and spin off planning (E)
- Excellent and demonstrated fundraising and, networking and relationship building skills (E)
- Demonstrated ability to set up a new organization (E)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate, influence and negotiate both internally and externally. (E)
- Ability to think strategically and achieve results (E)
- Ability to work autonomously. (E)
- Innovative and creative approach to campaigning and movement building (E)
- At least a minimum, degree in a relevant subject / skill set (E),
- study of international development and related issues an advantage (D).
- Strong interpersonal skills including good team work, and experience of working in mutli-cultural and virtual teams (E)
- Computer literate, and fluent English language skills (E)
- French an Essential skill too (E)
- Grassroots activism experience and context understanding (E)
- Experience in working with a diverse team (E)
- Excellent project management skills (E)
- Willingness to travel when needed. (E)
- Experience of managing relationships with high profile people e.g. politicians, celebrities and musicians (D)
- Digitally savvy with experience using digital technology and social media for high impact campaigning (E)
- Fluency in additional languages, especially Swahili, French (D)
- Understanding of Policy and advocacy (D)
- Understands long term programming (D)
This job description is not incorporated into the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments following discussions with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives which should facilitate the achievements of the key responsibilities in accordance with the Performance Review Process.
Are you the one we are looking for?
Please read the full job description and submit your application and CV including a day time contact by applying online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs using INT0625
Closing Date: 7 July 2014
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Those who had applied earlier need not apply.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.
Diversity The difference starts with you!