United Nations Industrial Development Organization
National consultant for UNDAF issues (Kenya)
Post Title National consultant for UNDAF (Kenya)
Level: SB4 – Local Professional
Closing Date: 12 October 2015
Organizational Context: The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations.
Its mandate is to promote and accelerate sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition, and work towards improving living conditions in the world’s poorest countries by drawing on its combined global resources and expertise.
The position is based at the UNIDO Field office in Kenya.
The Field Office is part of the Africa Bureau that falls within the Regional and Field Coordination Division (RPF) under the overall branch of Policy, institutional relations and field representation (PRF).
The Africa Bureau is responsible for supporting the development of regionally coherent programmatic approaches to UNIDO’s services and ensuring that UNIDO responds to the countries’ needs and requirements.
Project context: The United Nations Development Assistance Framework in Kenya (UNDAF) covers the period 2014-2018 and has the overall objective to contribute to national development and transformation of livelihoods within the context of Kenya’s Vision 2030.
Four Strategic Result Areas (SRAs) form the UNDAF pillars, of which UNIDO co-leads the strategic result 3 on Inclusive and Sustainable Economic Growth.
The Co-chairs are tasked to ensure smooth coordination of participating agencies for effective planning and reporting of the strategic result 3 activities and budgets.
The incumbent will provide technical leadership for the delivery of the UNIDO coordination and reporting functions within the overall UNDAF.
Under the overall supervision of the UNIDO Representative in Kenya, and in cooperation with the UNIDO project manager for UN System Wide Coherence based in Vienna, the National consultant will be specifically expected to undertake the following duties:
- Technical coordination for preparation of annual work-plans and joint UN program initiatives within the SR-3 of UNDAF.
- Monitoring and reporting on UNIDO activities in the UNDAF.
- Provide input for the UNIDO country programming to ensure linkage to UNDAF.
- Participate in strategic UNDAF working groups including the United Nations Communication Group (UNCG) and to ensure UNIDO and SR-3 results are mainstreamed in the communication materials.
- Follow up of dialogue processes on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development (ISID) to ensure alignment of UNDAF.
- Regular liaison with counterparts to ensure timely and effective flow of information for UNDAF support.
- Submit a final report including conclusions and recommendations.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Engineering, Business Administration or related discipline.
- English (Fluent).
- Working knowledge of Kiswahili is desired.
Computer skills: E-mail (Fully proficient), Internet (Fully proficient), Spreadsheets (Fully proficient), Word processing (Fully proficient).
Field of Expertise:
At least five years’ experience in program management including;
- Experience with coordination of development programs and/or frameworks and policies;
- Familiarity with UN programming and reporting approaches;
- Good knowledge of the Kenya government working environment and the relevant industrial sectors;
- Very good communication and people skills;
- Demonstrated experience in drafting documents and preparation of multi-stakeholder reports.
For more details on this vacancy, please visit the UNIDO website: www.unido.org
Mode of application:
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System, following the link; http://www.unido.org/employment.html