Mercy Corps Program Manager (DDAI-UEX Program) Job in Nairobi, Kenya May 2016
Job opportunity:Mercy Corps Program Manager (DDAI-UEX Program) in Nairobi, Kenya
Career vacancy;Mercy Corps Program Manager (DDAI-UEX Program) in Nairobi, Kenya
Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities.
We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there.
Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs.
We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Mercy Corps is looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position.
Program Manager – Demand and Adoption through Improved User Experience Design (DDAI-UEX) Program
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps Kenya currently has funding from the Global Alliance for Clean Cooking (GACC) through a 24-month program entitled Driving Demand and Adoption through Improved User Experience Design (DDAI-Uex), in the Rift, Central, and Western regions of Kenya.
With the GACC’s support, Mercy Corps Kenya and a consortium of partners will use behavioural research and behaviour change communication interventions to increase sales and uptake (correct and consistent use) of clean cook stoves in Kenyan households in our target areas.
General Position Summary: The Program Manager will provide overall leadership, management and strategic vision to the implementation of DDAI-UEx program. S/he is responsible for setting the tone for a collaborative, adaptive, and ‘problem solving’ team culture.
The Program Manager will support the DDAI-UEx team in driving the program to meet its objectives and ensuring success of all work streams within the program.
S/he will ensure effective and efficient communication and collaboration within the team, timely and effective internal and external reporting, including financial reports, contract management for contractors and consultants.
S/he will be the primary program representative to donors, relevant government entities, partners, other implementers and stakeholders.
Essential Job Functions:
Commitment to program quality, strategy, partnerships and leadership:
- Plan and drive DDAI-UEx’s Behavior Change Communication (BCC) strategy including recruiting channel partners, co-developing culturally sensitive BCC interventions, campaigns, and materials as appropriate, to effectively influence behavior change at the household and enterprise levels
- Collaborate with other program managers and ensure synergies with other related Mercy Corps Kenya programs, with special attention to synchronizing DDAI-UEx with YES program activities.
- Lead collaboration with formative research lead, Grid Impact and Populist, partner communities, and stakeholders to ensure successful research design, pretesting, production and distribution of BCC interventions.
- Ensure BCC concepts and/or messages achieve program objectives, such as increasing purchase and uptake of clean cooking products and reducing stove stacking at the household level.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with partner organization, ministries, partner business channels, and community stakeholders.
Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Work closely with the International Center for Research on Women (ICRW), and program channel partners to develop program learning objectives and a sound monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan. Ensure quality execution of strategy and tools developed with ICRW to monitor program implementation, measure impact and calibrate program strategy and implementation accordingly.
- Document process and achievements to ensure best practices are captured and disseminated. Ensure all reporting requirements are met.
- Build a cohesive team spirit among staff and delegate functions and responsibilities to them while ensuring achievement of program objectives.
- Work with the HR department to recruit, manage and motivate an informed, skilled and efficient team; incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management systems into team building processes.
- Direct DDAI-UEx team in working effectively and cohesively with other program and support units to improve planning and resource utilization.
- Maintain effective and positive internal communication with DDAI-UEx staff in all field offices, this includes ensuring open and harmonious communication all of the different offices and programs (e.g. with YES program staff).
- Develop and maintain both internal and external relationships to ensure optimum program success: to include Mercy Corps headquarters and regional officers and staff, international and local NGOs, government officials, donor community officials particularly GACC, vendors, media and the general public.
- Nurture appropriate Mercy Corps public relations, donor relationships; represent Mercy Corps to national and international media as requested.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning, and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps and themselves.
Accountability: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: M&E Manager, Financial Inclusion/SACCO Specialist, Master Behavior Change Communication Trainer
Reports Directly To: Kenya Country Director
Technical Support From: Mercy Corps’ Global Energy Advisor
Works Directly With: HR, Operations, private sector partners, civil society, M&E unit, Logistics and Administrative teams, YES Program manager and officers with time (15 and 10 percent LOE respectively) allocated to the DDAI-UEx project.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s degree in communications, development, public health, economics, business, behavioral science or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in managing adaptive programs and multi-cultural teams
- 4-6 years of experience in behavior change communications, behavioral science, or business marketing
- Demonstrated technical and successful expertise in a relevant mix of designing, managing and evaluating Behavior Change Communication (BCC) programs through social marketing, as well as proven experience working in partnership with the private sector to drive uptake
- Demonstrated experience in developing sound communication plans that include innovative strategies to address them.
- Contextual knowledge of Kenya
- Experience researching or working in the clean cooking sector
- Effective communication and team-building techniques.
- Excellent organizational and strong interpersonal skills.
- Even temperament and good sense of humor.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before Thursday 26th May, 2016 by 4.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for. Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates.)
NB: Mercy Corps does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.