Mercy Corps Finance Officer Job in Thika Kenya 2014
Program / Department Summary:
General Position Summary:
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliations
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- In the absence of the cashier, finance officer will maintain custody of the office cash fund, make daily payments of the approved transactions and other duties related to office cash handling ensuring proper segregation of duties is applied
- Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved and documented before payment
- Prepare payment vouchers and ensure that all transactions are properly and fully documented and recorded in the cash/bank sub-journal and in this process proper segregation of duties is applied
- Record payment vouchers daily in the cash/bank sub-journal
- Maintain the lease and rental agreements file and prepare monthly amortization entries of prepaid accounts
- Prepare monthly payroll based on information provided from HR and timesheets; prepare payroll accrual entry
- Maintain benefits accrual documentation and prepare monthly benefits accrual entries
- Prepare monthly expatriate payroll advance documentation
- Prepare the allocation journal entries (clearing of pool accounts)
- Assist with month end balance sheet account reconciliations
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Assist with sub-grant tracking, processing and updates of records as required.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Other duties as assigned.
Accountability/ Reports Directly To: Finance Director
Works Directly With: Finance Officer, Finance staff based in Nairobi office, Program and Operations staff supporting Mercy Corps activities in Central Province.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Two or more years of accounting or bookkeeping experience, including experience with double-entry accounting
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject; The position and location they are applying for, e.g “Finance Officer-Thika” Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified. Please do not attach any certificates.