Job Vacancy for Kimetrica Senior Researcher (Data Analyst) Kenya 2015
Vacancy: Senior Researcher (Data Analyst)
Background: Kimetrica is the leader in developing innovative software applications for humanitarian and development organizations working in some of the world’s most vulnerable locations. We are in the midst of an exciting time due to our rapid growth.
Our teams work virtually and physically in the same location; however, we do not make location a constraint to employment.
If you are in the Denver-Boulder area of Colorado, USA, you could work from our offices there. If you are in East Africa, you could work from our Nairobi office. If you are somewhere else in the world and are comfortable working virtually that may work too.
Kimetrica’s Senior Researcher (Data Analyst) will provide effective data management, analysis and science services to Kimetrica’s clients, which include leading international NGOs, international organisations and governments.
Using the latest technologies and with the support of a strong ICT department, you will lead the design and management of systems for collecting, accessing, processing and analysing datasets including survey, remote sensing, ground sensor, and vehicle mounted sensors.
In addition you will be responsible for the overall management of Kimetrica’s own datasets.
The position falls under the Research Service and reports directly to the Head of Research. You will work closely with a team of specialised economists and other data analysts.
Scope of Work
- Lead the design and implementation of metadata standards and archiving
- Design systems for data capture primarily using ODK
- Develop algorithms for data mining, business intelligence and analytics using R and Python
- Influence the development of software tools for micro-simulation, other analytics, data warehousing and data capture
- Support survey design with sample size, precision and power analyses
- Lead and build a team of in house analysts and liaise with specialized consultants
- Postgraduate degree in data science, computer science, statistics or another highly quantitative discipline such as epidemiology
- Advanced analytical skills including strong maths, statistics and programming
- Ability to conceptualise and build complex data systems
- Strong English language verbal and written communications skills
- Willingness and ability to coach and mentor in data science preferred
- Up to date applied knowledge of data science and big data methods
- Strong commitment to data quality
- In-depth knowledge and working experience of R and preferably Python
- Knowledge of GIS, remote sensing and spatial statistics preferred
- Experience working with PostgreSQL and PostGIS preferred
- Commitment to social, health or environmental issues
- Providing solutions to major global problems such as mitigating the economic impacts of climate change or delivering cost effective services to remote refugee populations
- Opportunities for research publication
- Interesting and highly involved projects that sharpen and grow your skills
- Flexibility to work from home
- Competitive salary package
- Generous vacation, holiday and sick leave
- Travel opportunities
- Professional colleagues that are dynamic, innovative and highly committed to making a positive impact
About Kimetrica: Formed by a group of former humanitarian and development workers in 2006, Kimetrica is a rapidly growing social enterprise focused on providing policy-makers and project managers with the tools and skills they need to do their jobs well.
Our work centers on providing research and knowledge management solutions for governments, bilateral donors, and not-for-profit organizations in the areas of performance management and disaster risk reduction. With offices in Ethiopia, Kenya, Moldova, South Sudan, and the US, Kimetrica employs 60 + full-time professional staff.
Application: This is a full time position, which may be based in the Denver/Boulder/Broomfield area or in the USA. Candidates should have the legal right to work in the USA.
Please apply by December, 2015 on http://www.kimetrica.com/careers. Include a cover letter, CV and recent salary history. Title all submitted documents with your first and last name. Note that Kimetrica will only contact eligible candidates for interviews.