KHRC Communications & Knowledge Manager Career Recruitment in Nairobi, Kenya Dec 2015
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the development, review and implementation of KHRC programmes’ strategies by cascading the overall organizational strategy into the communication strategy and plan
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communication plan across the network’s discreet audiences in collaboration with the KHRC team and constituents
- Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual reports, programme reports, e-newsletters, radio programmes, videos and KHRC’s website
- Manage the development of communication budgets and plans in liaison with the Executive Management
- Lead and facilitate the creation, production, editing and maintenance of new media content for the KHRC website and ensuring that KHRC’s editorial principles and all relevant legal, contractual and copyright requirements are met
- Lead the production, editing and dissemination of KHRC communication materials, including research, reports, policy briefs, writing publications, newsletters, speeches, case studies, documentaries and narratives.
- Build the capacity of KHRC staff in relation to communication and media through the development of guidelines, training materials and briefing staff on communication messages. Provide editorial support and build a pool of online contributors for KHRC online media.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communication activities
- Guide, train and manage the performance of all programme staff on communication as well as mentor and lead team members responsible for KHRC’s website administration and coordination
- Facilitate the development of staff, identify training needs and carry out knowledge management within programmes.
- Within the framework of KHRC’s organizational values, promote inter-office communications, through office intranet and regular meetings.
- Actively contribute to identifying programme initiatives in line with the prevailing issues of the day at national and international levels
- Cultivate and nurture strategic relations with key national, regional and international media as well as other discreet audiences
- Any other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- A post-graduate qualification in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or any other related fields with at least five years’ experience as a communications professional
- Should be strongly committed and have a passion for governance and human rights issues in the region
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Ability to work independently, but be entrepreneurial and enjoy creating and implementing new initiatives
- Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills in English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of an international language is an advantage
- Extensive multimedia skills, including the ability to make short documentaries
- Extensive contacts in East Africa and international media
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communication discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Ability to build relationships with the flexibility and finesse to manage through influence
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, programme participants, and other supporters
- A proven track record in resource mobilization and utilizing available resources to achieve agreed upon outputs/ results.
Canvassing will automatically lead to disqualification.
Only successful candidates will be contacted