Vacancy: Programme Manager
Job Purpose: A fast growing regional consultancy firm seeks a Programme Manager to spearhead it growth and coordinate all its day to day activities.
Under the guidance of the Managing Director, the program manager will have the overall responsibilities for representation, policy, programme, finance, staff and office administration for the regional Office (based in Nairobi).
The manager will lead and motivate the team in the development of innovative, relevant approaches for engagement on issues related to marketing, operations and development.
The Programme Manager will specifically provide technical and managerial support in: developing proposals, reviewing new projects requirements, contracting, liaising with staff, consultants and clients, offering feedback requested in a timely way, providing timely communication on the firm’s activities.
Roles and Responsibilities
Strategic direction, planning and program management
- Adapt operations, as needed, to adjust to the fast-changing environment of operation
- Provide overall vision, direction and management for the work of the firm in the region and in each of the countries
- Establish priorities for the work of the firm in line with clients’ priorities and substantive global, regional and country level priorities
- Direct the process of establishing, building the capacity of and maintaining partnerships, alliances and networks in the region and within countries.
- Reviewing of sector activity reports and provision of feedback to the Managing Director.
- Oversee the feedback mechanism for assessments, evaluation, baseline, and any other field related activities.
- Ensure all sectors have regular plans for efficient and effective program development.
- Establish process to ensure the firm sources and bids for work, including field work and reporting.
- Provide leadership in the substantive development and execution of timely and quality proposals in response to the terms of reference of the client organizations.
- Direct the process of developing strategies and plans for the implementation of sound resource plans in line with the proposed activities.
- Oversee budget preparation and on-going project expenditure reviews in coordination with consultants.
- In coordination with the finance department, provide training to project staff on financial planning and budgeting, and conducting monthly expenditure reviews.
- Assess needs in each sector and direct the development of general and sector specific profiles for all the firm’s operations
Management of resources
- Support in promoting staff safety and effective coordination of firms operations in a safe and secure manner within countries.
- Contribute to the appraisal of staff performance; ensure all staff and consultants in the region and countries are adequately briefed on firm’s strategies and priorities;
- Communicate standards of performance, and assign responsibilities for achieving results according to the region and country Offices;
- Uphold standards for the recruitment and selection of the highest quality of staff and consultants for the Country Offices;
- Establish and maintain a harmonious working environment; seek to strengthen team-building by encouraging active participation and interaction at all levels; foster staff motivation, development and empowerment; and lead by example.
- Ensure an ethics-based approach to management of all human and financial resources; and
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by the Managing Director.
- Liaise with all departments to communicate with clients on program design, fund raising, planning, accountability, adequate reporting and grants compliance with agreements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- University degree in Development/Social Studies or related field. Master’s degree an advantage.
- 3 to 5 years field experience in a managerial position with NGOs in developing countries.
- Experience in working in relief situations.
- Project management and design experience, as well as project implementation and monitoring & evaluation Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Strong detail orientation and sound negotiation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office and related email software.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and statistical software’s such as SPSS
- Good understanding of the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct, Sphere Standards and adherence to Humanitarian Principles.
- Humanitarian work experience addressing the needs of children and women.
- Experience with rapid assessments and planning and implementation of projects in areas of prevention, reintegration, and education for marginalized population groups.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview and emotional maturity.
- Demonstrated capacity to function well in a team to contribute to team efforts.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments, and physically hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Commitment to firms Core Values and Mission Statement and participation.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Demonstrate an understanding of bidding systems.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit a detailed CV, a cover letter detailing their suitability for the position, daytime contact details, expected salary and three referees.
Send your applications quoting the reference number in the email subject matter to email@example.com before 28th October 2015
Only selected candidates that meet the requirements will be notified