Vacancy: Individual Consultant – Web Services Specialist
1.0. Introduction: The African Virtual University (AVU) is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of Information and Communication Technologies.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
The African Virtual University has received Financing from the African Development Fund in various currencies towards the cost of Multinational African Virtual University Support Project Phase II.
It is intended that part of the proceeds of this grant will be applied to eligible payments under the contract for individual consultant, web service specialist, AVU is looking to improve the quality of its web services, increase its online presence and visibility and adapt to the new advances in information technology.
Therefore, AVU has undertaken the implementation of a digital project including redesigning, developing and upgrading:
a) AVU corporate portal,
b) AVU Blog,
c) AVU Moodle Learning Management System (LMS),
d) AVU Open conference and Open Journal.
AVU is looking to hire a highly qualified Individual Consultant – Web Services Specialist to support the above mentioned web service development activities.
2.0. Scope of Work for the Consultant, Web Service Specialist
The Consultant Web Services Specialist is expected to undertake the following activities, in coordination with the AVU ICT team:
- Support the development of the new AVU Web Services
- Supervise the team developing the AVU Web service portals in coordination with the AVU ICT Unit,
- Perform acceptance test of the developed web solutions according to the defined test cases,
- Support the configuration and maintenance of implemented web services,
- Provide handover and training support to the AVU team,
- Perform any other duties related the position
3.0. Deliverables and Expected Outcomes
- AVU Web Services developed
- Supervised the AVU web service development team in coordination with the AVU ICT Unit,
- Acceptance test of the developed web solutions performed according to the define test cases,
- Supported the configuration and maintenance of implemented web services,
- Provided handover and training support to the AVU team,
4.0. Qualifications of the Consultant, Web Service Specialist
- Master’s degree preferably or Bachelor with sound experience in Software Development or Engineering or any related fields,
- Minimum eight years’ relevant experience in the web service programming and development,
- Excellent Knowledge of software development and coding (web 2.0), Server technologies (Email, File, etc.), DBMS (MS SQL), Windows Servers, and/or Unix,
- Excellent knowledge of Systems and Software Architectures
- Good experience in software development life cycle,
- Excellent knowledge of Content Management Systems (CMS), Client/Server technology;
- Experience with Distributed Computing models, Cloud Computing
- Up to date knowledge and experience of the latest technologies and tools,
- At least one year working experience with Web services, LMS and OERs
5.0. Modalities of Work and Timelines: The Consultant Web Services Specialist will be expected to complete the exercise in a period of two (2) months, four (4) working days per week.
6.0. Reporting: The Consultant, will report to the Manager, Information Technology or any such other person as the AVU may designate from time to time in writing.
8.0. Payment: Payment will be in a daily rate and will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the Consultant.
9.0. Selection: Selection will be based on qualification and experience in accordance with African Development Bank Rules and Procedures for the Use of Consultants covering Individual Consultants 2012
The successful candidate will be appointed for two months working 4 days a week.
Application must include an application letter and a detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email address; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com and must have INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT – WEB SERVICES SPECIALIST as the email subject
The successful candidate will be based at the AVU Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The closing date for this application is October 15th 2015 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3)
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted
The African Virtual University (AVU) is an equal opportunity employer.