Islamic Relief – Kenya
Job Title: Security Coordinator
Reporting To: Country Director
Base Location: Nairobi 30% and 70% Field (Wajir, Mandera and Dadaab)
Established in 1984 in the UK, Islamic Relief is an international NGO seeking to promote sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and development activities. We aim to help the needy regardless of race, religion or gender.
Through working in chronic food deficit areas and in the most disadvantaged areas, IRK has ensured that its programmes target those who are most vulnerable in the most disadvantaged areas.
These programmes include Health and nutrition, Water and Sanitation, livelihoods, Child-welfare and other special programmes (Qurbani and Ramadhan).
General: Under the supervision and direction of the Country Director, the Security Coordinator will effectively implement all appropriate risk management strategies, related to the safety and security, and the protection of assets in Country.
Specifically, he/she will be responsible for the management, implementation and oversight of all security operations in support of staff and programme activities.
- Ensure all functions mentioned below are carried out in an efficient and effective manner whilst providing maximum security support to field operations;
- Manage and coordinate security operations ensuring that security procedures are implemented and followed as per the Country Security Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Coordinate all emergency/crisis management assets providing a timely and coherent response to incidents as they arise;
- Provide additional operational support and guidance to the field security teams as required;
- Liaise with and report to the Country Director to ensure that all relevant security information is disseminated in a timely manner to the appropriate offices, their staff and other stakeholders as required;
- Develop a working relationship with personnel and a comprehensive working knowledge of our operation areas security system/strategies;
- Work closely with the Country Director, Head of Programmes, Area Managers and Operations Manager to develop an effective security plan to support operations. Be able to develop a security plan to support all projects and activities within the geographical areas of operations;
- Task and guide field security teams and personnel to conduct security assessments and threat analysis as required, and where necessary provide feedback on proposed mitigation strategies for Area and Districts threats;
- Assist in the design and implementation of project related security strategies, security policies/standards and establish a concrete course of action for their implementation and review;
- Liaise with the Operations Department to ensure that training procedures and policies are implemented within the project to an acceptable standard;
- Maintain close links with Logistics, Operations and other key stakeholders to ensure that all projects are implemented with the highest degree of staff safety and security;
- As required and in coordination with the management, manage administrative, logistic and budgetary issues related to safety and security programs/procedures;
- Liaise with other agencies Security focal persons; Govt, UN, INGO’s, Local CBO’s and other stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Country Director or Head of Programmes related to staff safety and security.
- Solid military or police academy qualifications with a focus on security and related operations;
- At least 7 (seven) years of progressively responsible experience in security operations and information management in a police or military environment;
- Past experience with INGO’s
- Proven operational unit or sub-unit command, staff and leadership experience required;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Second language ability in the language of the IR-Kenya area of operations will be an asset;
- Ability to address publicly small and large groups of people.
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications and experience.
Your application should also include names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts.
The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line.
Send your applications to HR.Kenya@islamic-relief.or.ke, by Friday 23rd October, 2015.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.