Islamic Relief – Kenya
Job Title: Micro Finance Officer (MFO)
Reporting To: Livelihoods Coordinator (Technically), Area Manager (Administratively)
Staff Reporting: Micro-Finance Assistant
Matrix Management: Kenya Program
Base Location: Wajir
Key Objectives: The position of Micro Finance Officer exists for the purpose of planning and managing the micro credit and other livelihoods activities at field levels in accordance with policies and procedures established by the Islamic Relief management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out meetings in the community for the identification and formation of micro credit groups desiring to obtain microfinance and enterprise development loan.
- Formulate appropriate guidelines and procedures for the management and control over micro credit especially for credit assessment and approval process; credit administration and loan recovery.
- Carry out orientation training to micro-credit groups on service delivery, constitution, governance, and business identification and incubation skills.
- Assist the micro credit beneficiaries in opening bank accounts and registration with the relevant Government departments.
- Ensure that credit policy is clearly communicated, understood and adhered to by the departments and the clients.
- Ensure that applications and documents are properly signed/thumb imprisoned by the respective members of the group. Review that credit case/application is complete in all respect.
- Ensure that credit arrangement offered to the borrower is within the approved parameters of Sharia compliancy.
- Maintain database in all respects i.e., disbursement, recovery, etc.
- Update all client information and recoveries in the Management Information System (MIS)
- Advice the beneficiaries on environmentally friendly investment/business opportunities available and appraise best options for clients to invest.
- Ensure during periodic review visit to borrowers that amounts are utilized for the same purpose as described/agreed in the credit proposal/application.
- Take proactive measures for repayments and maintain adequate diary record to follow-up the new borrowers/groups, dues, over dues, etc.
- Maintain a schedule of due payment from the beneficiaries/group members
- Prepare payment/recoveries progress report and submit to the line manager, area manager and other relevant IR staff periodically.
- Ensure that credit records are kept in lock and key at all times and only designated staff has access to these records.
- Maintain service-oriented culture to achieve service excellence objective.
- Develop financial/credit management systems and the skills required to run a successful operation.
- Identify the market gap when providing financial services of micro credit to borrowers.
- Supervision and monitoring of the micro irrigation activities run by Islamic Relief in collaboration with the Government.
- Identify the existing Sharia compliant micro credit service providers and how well the needs of the low income borrowers are being met.
- Identify the donors who are active in microfinance and who might provide support or funding.
- Prepare and submit timely monthly, quarterly, annually narrative and financial reports.
- Work closely in team sprit with other sector officers and contribute to the maximum of his/her knowledge in his/her areas of profession as deemed necessary.
- Perform any other function/task as and when assigned by the line manager and area manager.
Results Expected: Organized, supervised and keep precise records; i.e. well analysed data with full supervision, processing of alternate livelihood based micro credit schemes, Irrigated agriculture and related follow up done as per this job description under general supervision of the Area Manager and the Livelihoods Coordinator.
- Graduate Degree in Micro Finance, Economics, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics,
- Development studies, or any other related fields
- Minimum of at least three years’ Experience in micro credit programme/project.
- Experience in Livelihoods/Microcredit programme design and management
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as a part of a team.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing (both in English and Kiswahili, Somali language will be an added advantage)
- Excellent understanding of Sharia Compliant Micro finance programmes.
- Good operational and working knowledge of ASALs.
- Effective IT Skills (Microsoft Office) and understanding of MIS.
- Planning, narrative and financial reporting skills.
- Communication, tact and negotiation skills.
- Conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development
- Problem solving.
- Flexible and patient
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications and experience.
Your application should also include names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts.
The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line.
Send your applications to HR.Kenya@islamic-relief.or.ke, by Friday 23rd October, 2015.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.