IOM Nurses Jobs in Nairobi, kenya Feb 2016
Job vacancy: IOM Nurses in Nairobi, kenya
Employment vacancy: IOM Nurses in Nairobi, kenya
I. Position Information
Overall supervision by: Head of Migration Health Assessment Centre
- Performs routine clinical tasks required by the Migration Health Physician during Migration Health Assessments, in particular: taking and recording medical history, performing anthropometrics, visual acuity and vital signs measurements.
- Compiles medical records, files, charts, X-ray films, decoded laboratory results prior to physical examination for doctor’s use.
- Authenticates the identity of refugee/migrant, as may be requested, prior to clinical or radiology examinations.
- Assists and provides directions to clients of medical facilities – i.e.: doctor’s office, lab, radiology offices.
- As a duty Nurse, triage, coordinates work and ensure client flow during physical examination
- Assists the MHP during actual physical examinations.
- Administers prescriptions/recommendations ordered by the Migration Health Physicians, including application of appropriate treatment.
- Prepares, install or sterilizes medical equipment needed for medical examination.
- Monitors and reports expiration dates of drugs and medicines and refers to the Pharmacist for disposal.
- Performs pre-departure medical checks, surveillance and administers treatment, including vaccination jabs as required for travelling refugees/migrants
- Prepares a report on therapeutic procedures administered to migrants, in accordance with the requirements of resettlement countries
- Monitors progress of medical cases and implements follow-up procedure; arrange further examination and health counseling as may be required.
- Participates in field missions, in out of duty stations and acts as nurse escort of medical cases.
- Maintains confidentiality of information and collaborative relationship with clients, partners and health professionals.
- Prepares monthly reports
- Provide health orientation/information education to individual patients or groups of refugees
- Assists in the preparation of health certificates in coordination with the Data Processing Assistants
- Administer first aid treatment as may be necessary
- Identify and inform Head of MHAC Nairobi of infectious diseases and administer preventive action as soon as possible.
- Date entry of client/applicant information for both UKTB Global Software if he/she is assigned in UKTB and Mimosa at MHAC
- Prepare, sign and issue certificates to UK applicants when she/he is assigned in UKTB
- Raising Payment Coupons for additional tests/treatment as requested by the MHP.
- Administer vaccinations to applicants according to the requirements/indications of the respective resettlement countries and maintain cold chain.
- Under the supervision of head of UKTB refers cases/applicants for additional TB investigations and/or treatment and counseling when it is required
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and
- project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
V. Education and Experience
- Diploma in Nursing from an accredited institution with valid Nursing Council of Kenya (NCK) Practice License as a Registered Nurse.
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in Clinical Nursing.
- Mature individual, able to work independently, effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
- Capable of working under stressful and difficult conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Training and experience in TB, STDs, other communicable diseases and migration health is considered an asset.
- Previous work experience with an international organization and NGOs dealing with refugees would be strong advantage.
- Computer literate on Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
VI. Languages Required
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili
Mode of Application: Submit cover letter and CV including daytime telephone and e-mail address to:-
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
P.O. Box 55040 – 00200,
or send via e-mail to email@example.com
Closing Date 24th February, 2016
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Note No Fee: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.