IOM National Medical Officers Jobs in Nairobi Kenya April 2016
Job opportunity;IOM National Medical Officers in Nairobi Kenya
Career vacancy;IOM National Medical Officersin Nairobi Kenya
Vacancy No: National Medical Officer
Context: Under the overall supervision of the Regional Health Assessments Coordinator for Sub-Saharan Africa and the direct supervision of the Head of Migration Health Assessment Center, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical support for the migration health assessment activities undertaken by the Migration Health Division.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Perform migration health assessments (medical exams) and completes related medical documentation of migrants referred for migration health assessment in accordance with the resettlement countries’ technical instructions and the IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines;
- Provide technical supervision and monitoring of IOM health personnel to ensure that the following activities are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement countries such as: medical case registration, migration health assessments, medical forms transmission, medical treatment and follow-up programs, data processing and management, pre-embarkation medical examination and report;
- Refer patients to specialists for treatment as maybe required;
- Administer treatment and immunizations as per the receiving countries’ requirements;
- Perform pre-departure and pre-embarkation medical checks on all refugee migrants departing under IOM auspices, making sure they are fit to travel;
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete reporting of all activities on the pre-departure (examinations, treatment, immunization), as per IOM standards and as per the country of resettlement requirements;
- Implement quality control standards and ensures confidentiality of individual health information;
- Assist in the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the migration health assessment;
- Coordinate with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories, as needed;
- Inform and consult with the Regional Health Assessments Coordinator for Sub-Saharan Africa and the Head, Migration Health Assessment Center on migration health issues and proposes corrective and adjustment measures;
- Assist in the preparation, and implementation of research activities related to the migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases;
- Provide healthcare advice to IOM staff in the sub-office;
- Undertake duty travel and medical escorting activities, be ready for relocation of duty station to remote areas or refuge camps if needed.
- Perform any other duties that may be required from time to time.
- Degree in Medicine – MBChB;
- Registered with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board;
- Minimum of 2 years continuous professional working experience preferably with experience in migration health, immigration medical assessments, epidemiology and/or international public health;
- Health sector experience in Africa;
- Training/experience in Paediatrics, Internal Medicine or Infectious Diseases is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
- Accountability – Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Client Orientation – Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Continuous Learning – Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Communication – Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Creativity and Initiative – Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Leadership and Negotiation – Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Planning and Organizing – Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team
- Technological Awareness – Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
How to apply:
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
Closing Date: 24 April, 2016
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.