INSO Kenya Deputy Safety Adviser Job in Dadaab february 2016
Job opportunity :INSO Kenya Deputy Safety Adviser in Dadaab
Career vacancy:INSO Kenya Deputy Safety Adviser Job in Dadaab
INSO Kenya is recruiting:
Position: Deputy Safety Adviser (DSA)
Anticipated Start Date: 1st April 2016
Duration of the Contract: 1 year renewable
1. INSO KENYA Background
INSO is a global charity dedicated exclusively to issues of humanitarian safety and to the operation of NGO Safety Offices (NSO) in volatile or insecure contexts.
INSO Kenya aims to support security awareness and security management capabilities amongst NGOs within Kenya.
We are now seeking an experienced individual to join our team as a Deputy Safety Adviser North (DSA N) who will be based in the INSO sub- office located in Dadaab.
2. Purpose of Position
The DSA will deputize the Safety Adviser – North for most of his tasks:
- Drafting of high quality security reports.
- Supporting the delivering of NGO request services.
- Supporting the RSA in the management of Field Monitors.
- Reports to the l Safety Adviser – North.
4. Key responsibilities:
The list of responsibilities is not exhaustive: other tasks may be requested to adapt operational needs.
Provide NGOs with credible information and contextual analysis of the local and regional security situation;
- Liaise closely with NGOs, the UN, the military, and other national and international security agencies to obtain relevant information for NGOs use.
- Contribute to writing comprehensive bi-weekly and quarterly reports on the provincial and regional security situation, as it relates to NGOs.
- Pro-actively analyse the context, suggest and draft daily incident reports, threat warnings.
- Facilitate bi-weekly NGO security meetings in his/her region of responsibility on request and in liaison with the RSA.
- Conduct regular field trip to develop local expertise of the context.
- Perform any other tasks as may be requested.
Assist in the delivery of other INSO Request Services
- Draft Area Brief / Travel Advisory on request by NGOs and in close collaboration with the SA.
- Perform security site review on request by NGOs and close collaboration with the SA.
- Review NGO security plans on request by NGOs and close collaboration with the SA.
- Respond pro-actively to any relevant request by NGOs in terms of safety and security.
- Support requesting NGOs in times of crisis on request, in close collaboration with the SA.
Support the RSA in management
- Support the SA in the management of field monitors.
Adhere to INSO security policies and procedures.
- Fully comply with INSO policy directives;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and security of all NGO information;
- Observe and maintain the confidentiality and security of information as outlined by Director;
Adopts professional conduct and positive attitude
- Manage your time in the office effectively.
- Work to ensure a positive working atmosphere by enhancing a cordial working relationship.
5. Posting details:
- This position is based in Dadaab.
- The position requires the holder to be able to undertake tasks at short notice with due regard to the security environment.
- The position requires the holder to be able to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- The holder must display a high degree of ethic and responsibility for his/her own actions.
- This position requires a degree of flexibility with respect to working hours.
6. Mandatory Requirements: (Applicants MUST have all these)
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields; IT, Journalism, Communication, Political Sciences, History, or any other equivalent diploma.
- At least 5 years of military, intelligence, police and/or NGO security work experience at a mid-management level.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills with ability to research and present complex issues in a clear and concise manner.
- A good understanding of NGO approaches to security.
- A proven ability to develop and maintain working relationships with key security interlocutors.
- Excellent Computer skills and knowledge of Windows and Office programs.
- Kenyan nationality.
7. Preferred Characteristics: (Applicants SHOULD have one or more of these)
- 2 or more years of work experience with NGOs
- Deep understanding of the Kenyan security environment and its historical context
- Demonstrated capacity to work with minimal supervision and maintain a high level of engagement
- Staff management experience
8. How to Apply:
Interested persons are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 17:00GMT on the 7th of March 2016 and ensure to reference ‘Deputy Safety Adviser’ in the subject line of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 page maximum).
- Up to date CV (5 page maximum).
- Preferably, one relevant writing sample in English which demonstrates your analytical reporting ability (a topic of your choice).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other testimonials, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.