Innovations for Poverty Action Biochar Project Associate Job in Bungoma, Western Kenya June 2014
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems. IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
The project has been underway since February 2013, and implementation work is largely complete. The final tasks remaining involve collecting the final round of survey data, and conducting the final randomized biochar offers to the farmers in our sample.
The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The principal investigator is Andrew Crane-Droesch at the University of California, Berkeley.
- managing survey teams, logistic planning, programming surveys, helping with the design of survey questionnaires, collecting qualitative data (i.e. focus groups), running pilot exercises, assisting with project design, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, financial accounting, HR, and various administrative tasks.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, environmental science, agriculture, public policy, or related fields
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Strong computer skills with the ability to quickly assimilate new software
- Fluency and good communication skills in English. Swahili strongly desirable.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Knowledge of R (strongly preferred), Stata, or other data analysis software
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing staff
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address. “Please title your CV with YOURNAME_CV and your cover letter with YOURNAME_Cover.” Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted by email to email@example.com.