Heifer International Regional Finance & Administration Manager Job in Nairobi Kenya 2014
Summary: Our client Heifer International is a global nonprofit humanitarian development organization dedicated to ending hunger and poverty and caring for the Earth by empowering small holder farm families around the globe to become self reliant and attain sustainable livelihood through economically viable animal agricultural enterprise.
In Kenya, the second phase of the project will adopt a more private sector led strategy with the overall objective of building significant partnerships with public and private organizations for co-funding, innovative design and overall project expansion.
Function: The Regional Finance & Administration Manager will be responsible for providing leadership and direction to financial management for the EADD project in the region.
- Provide leadership in and oversee the financial management, budgeting, proper operation of the accounting systems in the region. This includes instituting strong financial and other controls.
- Manage all Heifer assets including vehicles, equipment and fittings; this may involve support in pre-purchase of equipment and other assets for Heifer and its partners.
- Design and implement an effective information flow that facilitates reporting and provision of information to all stakeholders.
- Work with legal advisors to establish farmer groups and cooling plants as legal entities in all EADD project countries.
- Oversee the maintenance of all financial and administrative records including cashbooks, receipts, banking, payment vouchers, creditors, debtors, rental leases, vehicle logbooks, attorney files, and other assets.
- Oversee preparation of Project funds’ and Bank Reconciliation Statements, and ensure proper record keeping and subsequent production of monthly and quarterly financial reports.
- Assess and strengthen internal controls in the Regional Office.
- Ensure a good accounting system maintained by staff and monitoring of funds advanced to them to ensure efficient reconciliation.
- Lead the production of program financial reports, project reports, Trial balance, Variance analysis, End of year financial reports for audit.
- Represent EADD both internally and externally in meetings and functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with 8+ years’ work experience in both profit and non-profit/non-governmental accounting; 4 of which should be in a senior role
- Experience in grant accounting is essential
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Skilled with planning and generating ideas for improvement of the accounting function.
- Prior experience in a non-profit organization, preferably in a nongovernment organization or community-based Organization.
- Proven leadership and administrative skills.
- Strong organizational skills, office management experience, direct supervision of large number of culturally diverse staff including field staff in several locations.
- Knowledge of the banking industry and/or micro enterprise.
- Knowledge of the dairy industry preferred.
- Strong English language skills.
- Used of effectively computerized integrated financial management system, preferably Solomon, Agresso, QuickBooks or similar.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country and possibly internationally.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with regular interruptions.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone, and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability to type and utilize basic computer functions.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity.
- Excellent leadership qualities and communication skills with the ability to relate to individuals diplomatically and tactfully.
- Ability to assign and review the work of direct reports.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule, including outside of normal business hours.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
P O Box 6416,
Closing date: Friday, 13th December 2013
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.