Heifer International Production Advisor Job in Eldoret Kenya 2014
Summary: Our Client Heifer International is a global nonprofit humanitarian development organization dedicated to ending hunger and poverty and caring for the Earth by empowering small holder farm families around the globe to become self reliant and attain sustainable livelihood through economically viable animal agricultural enterprise.
In Kenya, the second phase of the project will adopt a more private sector led strategy with the overall objective of building significant partnerships with public and private organizations for co-funding, innovative design and overall project expansion.
Function: The Production Advisor will be responsible for supporting a minimum of two (2) producer organizations within a cluster to mobilize members in producer groups and support them increase dairy production.
- Mobilize farmers into dairy groups and thus facilitate them to form a legally registered producer organization.
- Facilitate training of farmer, farmer organizations and partners in Heifer’s Value Based Holistic Community Development model.
- Responsible and accountable for production and productivity performance of producer organizations within the assigned catchment area.
- Support producer organizations to setup robust extension systems that effectively serve smallholder farmers to increase production and productivity.
- Work with input service providers to ensure that quality services are delivered farmers – feeds, animal drugs, equipment, breeding services among others.
- Monitor production and productivity related indicator at producer organization level and thus provide timely advise to enable the producer organizations to achieve its productivity targets.
- Support producer organizations to prepare and thus implement feed plans, extension and breeding plans.
- Mainstream gender youth activities and ensure that there is increased women participation in dairying within the hub catchment area.
- Ensure that hubs have a robust production monitoring indicators and a data base for all dairy production and productivity parameters.
- Submit timely weekly, monthly and quarterly reports with regard to progress at each producer organization.
- Represent the project on the producer organization board as an ex-officio.
- May perform other job-related responsibilities as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the fields of veterinary medicine, animal science or other related; 5 years’ experience in a mix of dairy production, value chain competitiveness, or agriculture development.
- Demonstrated experience in setting robust and sustainable extension systems for producer organizations. This requirement is in line with the need to have in built ‘exit strategies’ within the project as a measure of ensuring that there are self-sustaining businesses by project end.
- Significant experience in supporting producer organization to increase dairy production and productivity.
- Clear understanding of the dairy value chain and Heifer’s Value based model.
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions oriented.
- Strong farmer mobilization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategies aimed at providing institutional capacity building’ to key partner institutions with a view to build a more efficient, competitive, and sustainable dairy industry.
- Knowledge of income and expense budget preparation and monitoring.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest developments in advancing good/best practices in value chain development that reaches women, youth, and underprivileged.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
- Knowledge of and experience with developing private/public partnerships at the district level.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English and other local languages, both oral and written.
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Value Based Holistic Community Development.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions and design catalytic activities within the production dairy value chain (e.g. the concept of business development service provision).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with culturally diverse groups of people.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout Kenya and other EADD project sites.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
P O Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100
Closing date: Friday, 13th December 2013
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.