COOPI Livelihood / Cash for Work Officer Job in Baidoa, Somalia June 2014
Organization: COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale is a relief and development organization founded in Italy in 1965.
COOPI envisions a world without poverty where diverse cultures live together sharing equal rights and equal opportunities.
COOPI’s mission is to reduce poverty in the global South through interventions of long-term sustainable international cooperation.
COOPI also conducts advocacy activities in Italy, to fight the cause of the serious economic gap between the North and South.
Vacancy: Livelihood / Cash for Work Officer
Reporting To: Project Manager
Duration: 6 months and possible extension depending on performance and availability of funds.
Location: Based in Baidoa District, Bay Region
Key Tasks: The Livelihood/Cash for Work Officer shall be responsible for planning, implementing and supervising all activities of the project including mobilization and registration of beneficiaries as well as resolving work related community conflicts to ensure smooth implementation of project activities.
- Lead the district project team in planning for implementation of activities and monitoring in line with project design.
- Working under supervision of the Project Manager, the officer represents COOPI in livelihood and food security fora in the district, maintains good relations with stakeholders, provides feedback on humanitarian situation, and any other contextual issues.
- Coordinates implementation of project activities in the district, including addressing complaints from beneficiaries.
- Introducing the project to district stakeholders and guiding prioritization of intervention villages based on set criteria;
- Sensitization in target villages on project objectives and approaches, and beneficiary selection criteria;
- Ensure beneficiaries are informed and regularly reminded about their entitlements from the project, and the confidential complaints mechanisms;
- Facilitating formation and training of village response committees where applicable.
- Facilitate the selection, registration and verification of beneficiaries’ families, and collection of baseline data on samples of the beneficiaries and selection of project activity sites;
- Facilitate in selection, signing of agreements and training for the vendors;
- Organize for participatory monitoring with beneficiaries of the implementation process, effectiveness, identified risks, and effects (positive and negative) on beneficiaries and markets;
- Facilitate capturing and documentation of key lessons on voucher based response and cash for work, and share with Project manager.
- To prepare lay-out plans and BoQs for infrastructure rehabilitation and establishment through cash for work in the target locations.
- Design daily cash for work quantities to be done by beneficiaries working on different productive assets and ensure daily work done is commensurate with that specified in the project design.
- Ensure all necessary documentation for monitoring, reporting and accounting of all project aspects are timely in place for use at all infrastructure sites prior to commencement of the works.
Supervision of works
- Supervise the activities of on-going projects and ensure their sufficient realization in the sites according to the implementation plans and requirements.
- To follow up works progress and ensure that technical designs/plans and specifications are adhered to during implementation by community members.
- Certify that works undertaken under cash for work approach have been completed satisfactorily and in accordance to technical designs and specifications.
- Ensure the designed cash for work infrastructure are followed during activity implementation.
- Ensure tasks allocated daily to participating beneficiaries are adequately completed.
- Supervise payment to beneficiaries by the cash transfer company.
- Preparation of project progress reports together with other project team members.
- Prepare and share regular supervision reports.
- Compiling monthly activity progress reports including for cash for work detailing progress of works for every activity of the project.
- Prepare training reports for all the technical trainings carried out.
- Report on CFW activities carried out in every week using a specific format designed for this activity.
- Provide weekly evidence of work accomplished using pictures taken from sites
- Work closely with all project staff to realize the quality and timely completion of implemented activities while providing overall leadership for the project team.
- Participate in staff internal meetings, trainings and follow COOPI procedures in all cases.
- Assign responsibilities to each team member as deemed necessary to enhance efficient implementation of the operation.
- Ensure harmony within the team besides motivating the team members.
- Ensure that COOPI’s policies and guidelines are adhered to by all the staff and are understood by the communities/beneficiaries.
Qualifications & requirements
- Degree in social studies or Degree/higher diploma in agriculture, agricultural engineering, civil engineering or other closely related disciplines.
- Four years strong experience of working with recognized NGOs on participatory approaches in Somalia or similar context elsewhere and being able to design cash for work loads and certifying appropriate works done.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English which is used for reporting;
- Able to work in teams, facilitate people to express themselves and being tolerant.
- Ready to follow COOPI rules and committed to project objectives;
- Able to use a computer especially Microsoft office packages.
- Neutrality and willing to work with all clans in Somalia;
- Prepared to work in field harsh conditions
- Experience in community development and is conversant with mobilization and project management skills.
- Must be computer literate and especially be able to use Microsoft office packages.
- Must be a speaker of Somali language.
Start date: ASAP
Application: Send by Email 1 page letter of expression of interest and updated CV and at least three referees who should also be guarantors in case the candidate is selected.
Applications should be sent to the following address:
The Regional Representative
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale,
The closing date for applications is 30th June 214.