Job Description: Café UBUNTU is pioneering coffee culture in Kenya by reintroducing local communities to a cup of joe, made by Kenyans for Kenyans, and shifting the way in which we think about food as not just mere items on a plate, but rather, energy that fuels and is part of a larger system.
By focusing on producing ingredients on UBUNTU farm that are of the highest quality, and combining them in the most natural and healthy way, we can begin to give our community and ourselves the true nourishment that we need.
Café UBUNTU is a program of CTC International, is an incubator of social enterprises, empowering people to do amazing things!
Through social enterprise, health programs, agriculture, and education, CTC is creating jobs and empowering communities while creating a local coffee and organic food culture.
- Plans menus for café and catering events
- Schedules and coordinates the work of cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct
- Determines the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of all items
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Interacts with café staff to maintain a high level of service and assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
- Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome members.
- Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
- Perform other duties as directed
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
- Food Industry and/or production environment knowledge
- Customer service
- Math Aptitude: comfort with numbers, measurements, and conversions
- Conscientiousness: Understanding that everything going out the door matters to the customer; striving for perfection
- Customer Orientation: Ability to walk in customers’ shoes and deliver what they want and need
- Dedication: Being persistent, punctual and dependable, with a positive, can do attitude
- Meticulous: careful and attentive to detail and thorough, ability to multi-task
- Teamwork: commitment and dedication to working with other staff to ensure the whole thing runs smoothly
- Communication: ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Sense of Urgency: understanding the urgency of situations and address matters promptly
- Flexibility/Adaptability: open to change and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Honesty: trustworthiness with company resources and information
- Self-Control: maintaining composure, keep emotions in check, and avoid aggressive behavior
- Must have excellent verbal English communication skills.
e-mail applications to email@example.com