Biopharmaceutical Company Medical Science Liaison Officer (Diabetes) Career Recruitment in Nairobi, Kenya Nov 2015
Job vacancy: Medical Science Liaison Officer Nairobi Kenya 2015
Our client is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines, primarily for the treatment of cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory, inflammation, autoimmune, oncology, infection and neuroscience diseases.
Role Summary / Purpose: Field-based position responsible for implementation of activities for establishment of scientific leadership of the Company.
Key Performance Areas
- 60% of time in field engaging HCPs and external stakeholders across territory and brands
- Proactively identify HCPs with high levels of scientific expertise in local treatment practice to collaborate on specific medico marketing activities
- Development and implementation of OL engagement plan in collaboration with MSL manager/line manager and TA lead. Review with the MSL manager/line manager and MAM this plan every quarter, develop OL visit plan- this includes pre call visit/engagement plan with clear objective of the visit, key points discussion for the visit, data to be shared and discussed with the OL.
- Develop own scientific knowledge for discussion on all aspects of the data to be shared with OL in a scientific, objective and balanced way through 1:1 discussions. Prepare for such interactions with peer group discussions. Respond to unsolicited requests for information about unapproved Company’s products or unapproved uses of approved products, presenting such information in an objective, scientifically balanced, substantiated manner. Develop database of Key opinion leaders and also provide recommendations for advisory board participation
- “to proactively provide scientific updates and information to OLs and identify the relevance of the data to the scientific community
- Build the Company’s relationship with key external stakeholders (e.g. patient advocacy groups, key medical organizations, hospital pharmacy).
- Find opportunities to collaborate with such external stakeholders.
- Provide scientific support in CME events and through appropriate medical sponsorships/ partnership.
- Act as scientific expert in the disease area(s) by presenting therapeutic updates to external stakeholders
Work with HCPs in scientific activities that help advance disease understanding such as:-
- Identify and recommend KOLs for Advisory Boards.
- Identify potential speakers and train speakers as appropriate.
- Interact in the field with the medical community in the context of various medical projects, such as clinical trials, , ESRs, scientific exchange meetings
- Discuss potential involvement in LCM such as ESR and RWEs
- Respond to unsolicited off label questions from KOLs
- Able to conduct basic discussions on clinical trials in terms of study design and feasibility
- Continuously acquire and update necessary scientific knowledge on therapeutic area and relevant compounds.
- Provide the Company’s internal stakeholders with an understanding of the local medical community, clinical practice, trends and real or perceived gaps in current scientific knowledge and medical treatment, competitor information
- Provide regular update on partnerships with HCPs, as speakers, or in the context of medical projects
- Initiate and conduct appropriate Company’s staff training & development on information regarding current and emerging clinical data and emerging trends in clinical medicine and practice within TA
- Provide input for the development of company’s Medical and Brand plans
- To work with internal cross functional team on formulary listing.
- Provide scientific support at the Company’s sponsored educational events
- Attend relevant scientific congresses and HCP meetings to gather new knowledge on the Company compounds, competitor information and therapeutic area
- Positive engagement and response to coaching and feedback received from MSL manager and TA lead.
- In daily work takes time to reflect on customer interactions and works on areas agreed with MSL manager as priorities for development. Develop functional capability in the role
- Proactively demonstrate the Company’s Values
- Identify areas for self-development and discuss developmental needs with line manager using the 70-20-10 principle (experiential learning, coaching/networking/relationship-based learning and class room training) Active participation in the Company’s training, projects, and meetings depending on development needs.
- Keep regular update and operate within the relevant Codes of Conduct, Ethical Interactions (EI), including GPEI and SOPs
- Be sure to understand the Company’s policies when engaged to KOLs and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine with experience in clinical medicine.
- Experience in a Pharmaceutical / NGO environment preferable.
- Current familiarity with healthcare environment in Kenya including opinion leaders, academia, the medical community, patient needs and related dynamics.
- Demonstrated expertise in synthesizing scientific information and communicating it effectively at peer level with HCPs.
- Effective and demonstrated communication skills (both oral and written), including English.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and teamwork skills.
- Management-level experience
- Prepared to travel within Sub-Saharan Africa and internationally
NB: Clearly state your current and expected salary in your application.