Area Manager Job in Kenya May 2016
Job opportunity;Area Manager in Kenya
Career vacancy;Area Manager in Kenya
Job Ref: PIK-281919
Department & Location: Programs and Operations (Field Based)
Duration: 3 year fixed term contract
Reports to (position): Operations Manager
Purpose: How does this post support the organisation’s strategy and mission?
This job role is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the relevant Program Unit operations and oversight of all programs implemented within their area of responsibility.
This role will be located at a Hub, ostensibly Nairobi, Kilifi and Kisumu. Outside of management of the PU’s in the area, the Area Manager is also responsible for furthering links to other Counties in the region where no PU’s for Plan exist in the form of representation to County government, communities, civil society actors and pursuing business opportunities.
The Area Manager (AM) will also have oversight to ensure that all projects are implemented in line with donor contracts and guidelines and according to monthly project activity plans and budget.
S/he will be the principle on the ground representative of the organisation in the County(s) of operation, and will ensure the organisation’s visibility and participation within the County and area of operation by facilitating appropriate collaboration, networks and partnerships.
Dimensions of Role: Overall managerial accountability for Program Unit performance and impact including safety and security, correct application of the organisation policies and procedures, HR, programme and all aspects of programme support.
Typical Responsibilities – Key End Results of Position
Finance, Compliance and Risk Management:
- The incumbent will have oversight of the relevant Program Unit’s budgets.
- S/he will approve local purchases and procurement processes; track monthly donor and sponsorship activity budgets and report on any variances to relevant project/program managers and the Country Office Finance Manager.
- The incumbent is also responsible for the organizational assets/resources assigned to the Program Units.
- Tracking Program Unit budgets to ensure efficiency, timely and quality project investments.
- Ensure existence and compliance of controls for risk reduction and management
- Ensure Program Unit complies with the organisation’s corporate governance systems and procedures as well as government laws/regulations as relates to operations of NGO/Civil Societies
- Leading audit management responses and corrective action plans in the area of operations.
- Ensure timely procurement of goods and services at the Program Unit level. Lead and advise on the appointment of the Program Unit procurement committee members, ensure their induction and performance at all times. Manage performance work of the committee to ensure timely delivery of the procurement services entrusted to them.
- Coordinate with the Logistics and Administration manager at the Kenya Country Office (KCO) level to ensure availability of credible supplier database at all times.
- Coordinate with the procurement coordinator and KCO Administration and Logistics manager for the development of supplier performance management tools. Ensure PU suppliers are frequently performance managed.
- Monitor to ensure compliance with the Plan and donor procurement and Logistics procedures.
- Ensure Program Unit resources such as assets are properly managed and accounted for following the laid down procedures at all times. Advise on the Program Unit asset disposal and liaise with Administration & Logistics Manager for disposal support
- Collaborate closely with the Operations Manager and Logistics and Admin Manager for procurement support and guidance.
- Provide oversight for the development and implementation of the PU procurement plans. Put mechanism in place for the frequent review of the procurement plans and ensure the plans effectively support the PU procurement processes.
- S/he will supervise approximately 5 staff directly in the Hub. These include the Senior Accountant, (has a direct technical reporting line to the Finance Manager); IT Coordinator (has a direct technical reporting line to the ITM), Procurement Coordinator (has a direct technical reporting line to the Administration and Logistics. and approximately 20 staff or more dependent of budget) indirectly. S/he has a delegated authority as defined by the organisation’s duty matrix.
- In both the Hub and non-Hub the AM will have supervision over the Sponsorship Coordinator (has a direct technical reporting line to the Sponsorship Manager); the Office Coordinator (has a direct technical reporting line to the Logistics and Administration Manager; the Project Implementation Manager (has a direct reporting line to a Programme Manager).
- The AM will have oversight of Project Managers based in their area of operations.
- The AM will be responsible for inputting into appraisals alongside the technical lead.
- Facilitate team building and cohesion and ensure all staff are clear on their individual contribution to the overall program goal.
- Manage staff performance and deal with any unsatisfactory performance proactively.
- Ensure all staff have updated JDs at all times and the right people are in the right places.
- Provide mentorship and coaching and foster career development.
- Timely management oversight of all sponsorship processes according to guidelines and regulations in close coordination with the Sponsorship Manager.
- Ensure timely and well managed sponsorship production and communication processes at the Program Unit level.
- Actively support key Program Unit sponsorship staff to ensure high quality and timely products.
- Ensure that the Sponsorship Commitments are being carried out as per the approvals of the Sponsorship Manager.
- Provide visionary leadership, coaching for results and support to the Program Unit teams/members in the management of projects, financial resources, individual staff development and in the management of their performance.
- Lead relationships and represent the Program Unit with all senior County government authorities and departments and establish and maintain strong networks and partnerships at sub-county and county levels to ensure the organisation’s profile is held in high esteem.
- Ensure close cooperation with donors, INGOs and local NGOs operating in the area and develop programming ties.
- Champion and facilitate change initiatives to enable organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Support the organisation’s advocacy efforts and initiatives at the county and sub-county level
- Plan and provide oversight for all visitors to the Program Unit and area of operations
- Champion modelling and innovation in order to scale up successful interventions
- Develop and manage key stakeholder relationships. Liaise with external stake holders i.e. governments, implementing partners, Civil Society Organizations, NGOs, private sector as well as network including in non PU areas, identify opportunities and develop new business strategies for the area/region.
- Provide assistance into quality proposal designs, concepts, reports and all documentation required and ensure timely submission of requests and finalized county and sub-county reports.
- Support the PIMs to ensure timely and effective implementation of the Programme Unit projects according to approved project outlines, donor contracts and approved monthly activity and budget plans.
- Work with senior management to ensure adequate resource mobilization, appropriate allocation and management.
- Provides leadership to Programme Unit staff and communities in planning for and responding to emergencies and disasters.
- Ensure all staff are familiar and understand Plan rights based approaches and conceptual and actual objectives of all interventions and initiatives
- Ensure correct and appropriate branding and media coverage at all times in programming, while working in contact with the Communications Manager and other relevant senior staff.
- Develop plans in association with the Safety and Security Manager and execute all security plans and proactively manage mitigation measures
- Ensure the safety and security of Plan staff and assets within the Program Unit at all times.
- Contribute to the development, revision and update of the Plan-Kenya security procedures and guidelines.
- Security management
- Managing a diverse number of staff with their various job roles and the conflicts arising therein.
- Managing community/staff conflicts
- Managing community/Plan Policy problems
- Managing inter I(NGO)s/civil society challenges
- Negotiating with government and partners/collaborators to ensure smooth program implementation and PU operations
- Managing staff performance, attitudes and behaviours
- Ensuring management of quality, compliant and timely Program and Grant performance (including managing different donor requirements)
- Managing the inherent risks associated with procurement and finance management
The incumbent is expected to:
- Maintain a high level of intra and external communication/contact at the County and sub county level. This is to facilitate the implementation of all the organisation programmes, sponsorship initiatives, and campaigns appropriately and with local buy-in.
- A medium level of external communication with the INGO/LNGO, CBOs partners in the county.
- A low level of internal communication with Plan National Offices (programs, sponsorship, exclusion or the regular communications)
- Facilitate and provide high quality communication materials as requested
- Excellent grasp of programming concepts
- Strong analytical skills (including thorough understanding of M&E)
- Demonstrated high level skills in representation, influencing, written and oral communications
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Management of intra and interpersonal conflict skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Responsive, pro-active and able to multi-task
- A Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in business administration and/or development studies or a related field. Master’s degree in above an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a management position in development work with experience in rights based programming and community development.
- Experience in partnership building, advocacy and networking with government, INGOs and CBOs;
- Experience in program design, budgeting and budget management.
- Sound experience in people management, negotiation and planning.
- Experience in financial management and interpretation of financial reports.
- Good understanding and management of Logistics and Procurement management function and contracts.
Physical Environment and Demands: Typically office environment with field visit demands.
Level of Contact with Children: High level: Frequent interaction with children with frequent visits to the field to support program implementation
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact, to email@example.com (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR + JOB REF)
If you are not interested in this opportunity today, please refer any friend or colleague you know that might suit the required profile.
Applications NOT MEETING minimum requirements will not be considered.
Note: We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews