Adeso Communications Intern Job in Nairobi Kenya June 2014
Position Title: Communications Intern
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop content to populate the Adeso website. This includes regularly creating content for the “In the Spotlight” and “Success stories” sections;
- Keep the reports and publications and media centre sections up to date;
- Support the Senior Communications Officer to manage Adeso’s social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr and other social networking sites.
- Maintain an inventory of all communication materials at HQ and in field offices;
- Support in development and maintenance of a suite of materials to effectively communicate Adeso’s mission, vision, main messages and on-going projects to key audiences;
- Support the development of Adeso’s 2015 Annual Report;
- Edit or develop and disseminate Adeso case studies and success stories to maximize their use;
- Work with project teams to create and regularly update project profiles as well as an organizational profile;
- Maintain a database of available success stories;
- Provide support to projects in development and procurement of communication materials.
- Conduct weekly media monitoring and send weekly reports to staff in Kenya, South Sudan and Somalia respectively;
- Support the Communications and Advocacy Manager in drafting press releases, responding to media enquiries and building dialogue with journalists.
- Provide editorial support to colleagues for reports, case studies, articles, and presentations;
- Travel to field locations to collect success stories, pictures, and deliver trainings;
- Any other duty as may be assigned.
- Undergraduate Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field;
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written);
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar;
- Experience in managing websites and in using social media tools in a professional context;
- Experience and skills in the use of software programs such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe;
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in a timely manner;
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity;
- Knowledge of or interest in humanitarian programs, as well as a commitment to Adeso’s mission and vision;
- Willingness and ability to travel to remote locations.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages);
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.